The projects and ideas I have altered and helped by you

This blog is designed to give the viewer more to do than just read, look and comment. I have made it so that you can comment and help me with my projects and influence and help realize my ideas. Do not be shy come on and help me create a mini world

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Piratical Pirate Preview or Silly sailor sneak peek

well well well here I am another post before the year is out... what have I been thinking? no new posts on the Oronegro blog but the story there will be completed sooner or later. just got to get a round to it.

here are SOME of the figures that I have done, a few more were completed after these guys and some are being made up now... with a few more as yet un-started and some lying there in need of work. so Here are the Oronegrean Pirates and Sailors
all of them together you can see that they are all based up. for the 18th century I will base all my figs one terrain suitable for their combat home, so pirates and sailors on beaches, for the captain on the left the ships deck or in some building

one of my all time favourites, if you could not tell already... formally Robin Hood himself now a pirate

one of my least liked, his conversion didn't work well there is another converted to a shooting sailor/pirate but with a different method. looks better so far

only a small change for this guy, hat swap and now he wears shorts... I like this guy also

bicorns are hard to make right, they either become to tall or not wide enough, but with practice I should get it right eventually... of coarse he is a gun crew member

another gun crew member, I experimented with a stripey shirt... looks fine to me

the Captain of the HMS Anne. He needs a name. he is a conversion from the Zvezda Medieval field artillery set, not much was changed just the type of helmet.
well there you have it, a few more done before the year is out but the whole lot will not be complete before the year has passed. I hope you have enjoyed this preview and as always have a happy, healthy, hobby filled new year

17 comments:

  1. Gowan, these are great conversions! I am looking forward to seeing the rest! I hope you and you family have a very happy and successful 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful conversions Gowan! I think the striped shirt looks good too and I'm trying to think of a name for the Captain. How about Alfred Hale? Twould be in memory of my departed husband who was a sailor and a deep sea welder. He was killed while working on a rig in an explosion over 25 years ago. He was a good man and I miss him still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I am sorry to hear about that. I think that Alfred Hale would be a good name and that I must give the captain that name as he is captain of the Anne, your ship.

      Delete
  3. Very nice conversions Gowan. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very imaginative, well done and successful conversions!
    Reminds me when, decades ago,the late Bob 'WRG' 0'Brien demonstrated how to convert Airfix 'Robin Hood' and 'French cuirassiers, 1815' to almost any type of ancient warrior.
    And personally so glad to see tricornes!

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh thats interesting. thought I intended to use the Airfix french as Oronegrean cuirassiers.

      Delete
  5. Regarding Archduke Piccolo's Latino-American countries, given their names I guess they are close to or on the Pacifican coast, far, far West of Oronegro (which I'd tentatively place, if indeed on 'our' Earth, somewhere between Georgetown in Guyana and Sao Luis in Brazil?), with in the 18th C. some 1000 km of unexplored primeval forest. As for their political status, unless their history differs drastically from 'ours', by the 18th C. they can be assumed to be Spanish colonies -at most having gained some degree of autonomy during the confusion of the War of Spanish Succession?
    Then historical references in relation to imaginary countries are not always unambiguous indications of their location: Tintin had Nuevo Rico and San Theodoros which fought the 'Gran Chapo' (phonetically 'Big Hat') War, an allusion to the Gran Chaco War, and thus would correspond to Bolivia and Paraguay, yet most of 'The broken ear' is set in Amazonian forest: indeed San Theodoros is on the *Atlantic* coast, further evidence suggests that it's a coastal statelet near Guyana. Please note, afaik no one is playing Nuevo Rico and San Theodoros! Btw Spirou, the lesser known rival of Tintin, had Palombia (also 'free to game') which, while inland, may be a closer neighbor of Oronegro and an intermediate between it and the Andian countries: but were 'white' firmly settled so deep inland by the 18th C. (look at the smaller 1790 map; there a less detailed but more relevant map from 1750)?

    I'm extremely glad you extended his interests to the 18th C. -and not only because I was 'hooked' by C. Grant's 'The War Game' (already 40 years ago?). This give you a golden opportunity to freely and fully express your creativity, both in writing the early history of Oronegro and in building its fleet and the 'hostile' ones: the 18th C. Oronegran ships are far more original and *personal* than any 'modern' gunboat or armed landing craft you could have converted or scratchbuilt.

    Compliments and cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put Oronegro on the western coast, though of coarse its in some sort of parrallel world. as for other countries, I am happier to use Ions, Archduke Piccolo's nations as at least I can keep in communication with him if I should ever need to refrence his nations in my games

      Delete
  6. Anyway between the Kaxad empire and pirates (both you directly control) 18th C. Oronegro already has enemies enough!


    For minis in tricorne don't forget the Great Northern War: the uniforms may be a little outfashioned for the mid-18th C. but Oronegro has more urgent needs than following that last trends of European fashion.
    Besides, headswappings with Napoleonics in bearskin or helmet couls gave you interesting original types?

    For the Natives Caesar Maya Warriors are the more 'Amerindian-looking', but maybe (being without beard) Hat Nubians and even various Zulus could be pressed into service: homogeneity would come from self)consistent painting of skin, loincloths and shields. The difficulty would come from given some of them a firearm: not as much from giving them a pistol or musket held in one hand, but to find 'clean' muskets since H&M figurines generally hold them with both hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the links, I have looked around PSR many times and will carry on taking more looks at the sets you advized me on, although even though I agree that the Maya set from Caesar is the best after I looked at it myself a while back, there could possibley be another way to get natives though it may require more conversion... but that route is only in the plannying phase and if I do figure it out and get the sets it will hopefully remain a surprise ;-D

      Delete
  7. Now by the mid 18th C. the Kazad empire, just like Russia and Poland 1/2 century earlier, may have developed a core of professional troops of 'Whites' model, perhaps with uniforms wisely adapted to the local climate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. theres an idea, I had not thought of that until recently I should give the Kaxad empire some regulars... thanks that is some very sound advice that I hope I will be able to sort out soon.

      Delete
    2. oh I also got that set of british light infantary earlier so they'll be painted up in the near future

      Delete